At Duncan Fraser & Son our emphasis is very much on top quality local Scottish produce and top quality service.
More and more these days customers are interested in where their meat comes from and in fact the vast majority have a definite interest in food provenance. We boast a 24 foot plus counter running the length of the shop displaying a superb selection of Specially Selected Scotch Beef, Lamb and Pork all sourced from North East Scotland. Fresh poultry comes from the Central Belt of Scotland and at Christmas time our business sells Copas Traditional Turkeys from Berkshire alongside other fresh festive fare, again all sourced from Scotland.
Today’s customer is looking for quality and value and our business is proud to provide both these. The firm offers value for money by purchasing the best of what is on offer but at all times ensuring quality is preserved. Our staff are all knowledgeable regarding all the products that are produced and displayed for sale. They are only too happy to help you choose the right cut for that all important meal and can advise on preparation and cooking methods with an occasional recipe thrown in for good measure.
More About Us: Our History
This family run business, one of the longest established in Inverness, commenced trading in 1911 and has built a reputation second to none for Quality and Service.
The first shop was established by the late Duncan Fraser in 1911 in the city’s Eastgate. The First World War saw Duncan Fraser being called away to fight for his country and on his return found that the business had folded. Undaunted he quickly re-established the business and opened a small factory to supply the shop from the cobbled streets of Falcon Square. In 1926 he married a local girl called Caroline Barbara Michie and they set up house in Rangemore Road in the town. By the late 1920s the shop had relocated to Queensgate Arcade and it continued to move forward. In 1947 the founder bought over the firm of Davidson & Son, a top quality butcher in its day, at 22/24 Queensgate which is where the shop remains today employing 17 full and part time staff.
It was after the Second World War in 1947 that the founder’s eldest son William (Bill) joined the business after completing his National Service. In addition to running the business, Bill has also served as Provost of Inverness from 1992-1996. In 1976 Duncan Fraser’s grandson, Duncan, named after his grandfather, also came into the fold after gaining an accountancy diploma at college. Sadly, in 1960, the founder died and the business became a partnership of Bill and his wife Margaret with Duncan being made the third partner in the early 1980s which is how the business continues today.